[cgiapp] Intermittent problem with sessions when redirecting

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Sun Mar 8 00:55:03 EST 2009

Hi Lyle

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 03:03 +0000, Lyle wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I just wasted the last 2 hours going round in circles trying to figure
> out what is going wrong. Everything works find if I return the normal
> text/html header. But as soon as I use a redirect instead, the session
> is sometimes lost.

Official Guide to Programming with CGI.pm
Lincoln Stein
Wiley
1998

P 225 says:
"All named arguments recognized by header() are also recognized by
redirect(). However, most HTTP headers, including those generated by
-cookie and -target, are ignored by the browser."

Seems to me you've been bitten by this one.

And while I think of it. I emailed Lincoln years ago about misprints in
this book, and he made it clear to me he would never deal with Wiley
again. He despises them for the low standard of their proof-reading.

ron at savage.net.au
http://savage.net.au/index.html