[cgiapp] [Announce] CGI::Application::Plugin::Email

Lyle webmaster at cosmicperl.com
Tue Feb 17 20:28:04 EST 2009

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Lyle <webmaster at cosmicperl.com> wrote:
>
>>  Very easy lazy loaded emailing based on Email::Stuff (with it's new Pure
>> Perl dependency options).
>>

> I know you mean well with this, but trivial wrappers around other
> modules described as plugins is the kind of thing that made me stop
> taking Catalyst seriously.  I mean, you could do this sort of plugin
> for basically everything on CPAN (and Catalyst did).

Considering that almost everything is already on CPAN, then most plugins
are likely to be wrappers, adding extra benefits like lazy loading and
framework specific functions. It would be wrong to try and recreate
things that are already tried and tested on CPAN.

Plugins that initially just add lazy loading, will likely grow to take
advantage of of other modules and create more framework specific features.

For example C::A::P::I18N is a lot more than a wrapper around
Locale::Maketext::Simple, and another plugin I haven't released yet for
Date and Time methods has already had extra C::A functions added.

> If you were to extract the lazy-loading code into a sort of generic
> plugin module that can wrap anything and then give Email::Stuff as a
> SYNOPSIS example, that would be more interesting.

I've been thinking this method would work for a lot of modules, although
for some it's a bit more tricky (look at C::A::P::YAML).

Lyle