[cgiapp] mod_perl vs. FastCGI

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Mon Feb 9 13:47:46 EST 2009

Benjamin Hitz wrote on 02/09/2009 12:30 PM:

> We have converted a plain cgi app under CGI::App (no dispatch) to run
> under FCGI without much difficulty (Solaris).  The biggest problem I had
> was some "mixed" apps where I was creating 2 distinct DBI database
> handles.  Once I got it down to 1, everything worked well.
>
> Primary gain is start up time from stuff like DBIx::Class (but CGI::App
> and even perl are kinda heavy weight).
>
> We still have to restart apache to debug it, although "in principle" you
> don't.

I recommend the "in principle" part. I run all my fastcgi apps using the
ExternalServer option, which I found well documented at the fastcgi
site. That lets me stop/start the app independently of apache, which is
nice for rolling out new versions, etc.

--
Peter Karman  .  peter at peknet.com  .  http://peknet.com/