[cgiapp] Re: HTML::FillInForm maintanence, patch idea

Steve steve at octane.to
Fri Feb 6 11:29:26 EST 2009

A little bit off topic to the HTML::FillInForm discussion (or maybe not).

But does anyone know of a module like HTML::FiF that would allow me to
fill in other things such as:

So that if I had a static HTML file with a form on it, I could place the
error message place holder right where I wanted them at the time that I
write the HTML and only activate them on submit by re-reading the .html
file and then using HTML::FiF to fill in the form AND the appropriate
Fill-In other module to fill in the empty <spans> with the error
messages and then return the entire output to the user.

I'm about on the edge of rolling my own in a fashion similar to
HTML::FillInForm, but thought I would check first. (Otherwise, I might
roll out HTML::FillInAnything)

I do understand that:

a) The concept for this module would be moot if I was generating the
form dynamically from a template that could include [% error_firstname
%] tags. Which I'm not. But in respect, what I'm looking for is also
cleaner than the syntax of <input type='text' name='firstname' value='[%
firstname %]'>, which is what we'd be left with if we didn't have
HTML::FiF in the first place.

b) I could probably do something like
by TT using HTML comment tags as my start / end tags, but I think the
fill in approach would still be cleaner.

---
Steve Comrie