[cgiapp] Re: Should cgi-app use HTML::Template::Pro if available?

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Feb 3 13:54:38 EST 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:55:58 +0000
Lyle <webmaster at cosmicperl.com> wrote:

> Lyle wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >  I was wondering if there were reasons why cgi-app shouldn't try to
> > use HTML::Template::Pro (if available) over HTML::Template by default?
> >  One of the main selling points of cgi-app for me is it's speed under
> > normal cgi. Considering HTML::Template::Pro's speed gains I would have
> > thought this would be preference?
>
> Oops, just read:-
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/HTML-Template-Pro/lib/HTML/Template/PerlInterface.pod#DISTINCTIONS_AND_INCOMPATIBILITIES
> Seems they aren't 100% compatible.

That, and I've never noticed HTML::Template to be the bottleneck for a web
application. If anything is slow, it's usually a complex, large, or
unoptimizeda database query in my case.

Besides, we just added the 'html_tmpl_class' method to make it incredibly easy
to use a different HTML::Template-like replacement.