[cgiapp] [Fwd: Re: ValidateRM not PP]

Lyle webmaster at cosmicperl.com
Sun Jan 25 13:34:37 EST 2009

Michael Peters wrote:
> Lyle wrote:
>
>> Anyone had any ideas for a Pure Perl FillinForm replacement? At the
>> moment I'm thinking of a simple regexp based alternative???
>
> Please, please don't do that! HTML is a complicated language and any
> regular expressions you come up with will fail on real world code.
> Trying to identify and change the properties of HTML form elements
> would be tricky enough, but what about things like
>   + Javascript code which has HTML in strings (very common in DHTML apps)

Does the current parser pick that up? I don't think HTML::Parser
executes any JavaScript.

>   + HTML comments?
>   + targetting specific forms?
>
> Dealing with HTML requires a parser. Anything else won't make people
> happy.

I see. But there isn't a Pure Perl parser available, and for those that
really can't get HTML::Parser on their cheap shared hosting, isn't a
regexp that works most/some of the time better than nothing?

> On a side note, get a hosting provider that gives you a compiler, gee
> wiz!

I've got a couple of dedicated boxs, one in the UK and one in the USA. I
actually offer hosting on both. Being able to compile isn't an issue for
me, but I make commercial scripts and some of my customers have cheap
hosting where they can't compile. (Yes I offer them my hosting, or the
scripts ran off my hosting, but some of them insist on having all
scripts on their cheap hosting).

Lyle