[cgiapp] getting C::A::Dispatch to ignore certain URLs

Matthew Whipple mwhipple at kothartech.com
Sun Jan 25 13:18:55 EST 2009

P Kishor wrote:
> On 1/25/09, Matthew Whipple <mwhipple at kothartech.com> wrote:
>
>> P Kishor wrote:
>>

>>> Very well put. So, how do I make the webserver (in my case, Apache
>>> without mod_perl, for now) serve directly anything under /img (or any
>>> other specified folder) without invoking C::A::Dispatch?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Puneet.
>>>

>>  Try moving the img directory out of the directory handled by dispatching
>> and then accessing it through an Apache alias.
>>

> hmmm... I was hoping for a different solution. While the above is
> doable, it messes up my mellow. My directory structure is thusly
>
> <site folder>/
>   - index.cgi
>   - _perl/.. various Perl modules for this site
>   - _tmpl/.. html templates
>   - _logs/.. my own logs
>   - css/.. stylesheets
>   - js/.. javascripts
>   - img/.. images and other media
>
> All folders prefixed with '_' are *not* accessible directly via the
> web, while the other folders, css, js and img contain stuff that can
> be accessed through a URL. That way I can give some a direct URL to an
> image in the img directory, for instance. This also allows me to keep
> everything specific to a web application within its own folder. If I
> move the img directory outside the <site folder>, I no longer have a
> single folder for a single application.

The issue is that (seemingly) you've assigned a default handler for the
entire directory, overriding the web server normal functionality.  This
could potentially be reversed by Perl but that is a convoluted
solution.  You could restructure your directories so that all of the
scripts (or those handled as such) are separated within the project
parent directory (more of a traditional cgi-bin setup while still
keeping projects grouped together), or implement more selective handler
assignment.