[cgiapp] mod_perl vs. FastCGI

fREW Schmidt frioux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 14:44:12 EST 2009

> However, if that still seems like too long, and your code is too
> tricky for Apache2::Reload, there are two simple solutions.  One is to
> develop under CGI, which should be easy for most CGI::App users.  Then
> you just switch over to mod_perl when you're ready for testing.

I think I'll do this one.  That's definitely reasonable.  What about
the dispatch stuff?  Will my URL just look like this:

foo/Dispatch.pm/controller_foo/action

?

> Another is to set MaxRequestsPerChild to 1, so that your code is
> compiled fresh every time.  If you do this, make sure you don't load
> the code you're editing in your startup.pl (before the fork).

I'd prefer to do the previous idea as I've had lots of success with
apache and vanilla cgi before, but I may look into this when I'm not
so busy.

>> I also like the idea that with FastCGI we can switch back to IIS.
>
> Can't say I agree with you there, but to each their own.  However, I
> would caution you that when I tried to find an IIS FastCGI solution a
> few years ago, there was really nothing available.  That may have
> changed since Ruby increased the popularity of FastCGI.

Well, technically I agree with you and I think we should abandon IIS
and SQL Server and Windows even, but you have to start small :-)

I think I'll just do the CGI stuff for now as that should be just fine
really.  mod_perl may be overkill anyway as we will probably never
have more than 5 users at the same time as this app is for one single
small organization.

-fREW