[cgiapp] Re: Problem with Flash, Session & persistent environment identified

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Fri Nov 21 15:18:43 EST 2008

Hi Mark

> I have also consider the design of autoflushing a bug in CGI::Session.  I do

This statement worries me.

Why /exactly/ is it a bug in CGI::Session?

What could CGI::Session do? Surely no-one expects CGI::Session itself to
check for circular references!

> not recommend relying it for precisely cases like this. Changes to third-party

This is different. I think we can all see now that - unfortunately - we
can't rely on auto-flushing (depending on which other code is loaded),
but again it's not the auto-flushing which is at fault.

> modules should not alter the behavior of CGI::Session, but with autoflushig,
> they can, and it's hard to track down.

This comes back to the difference between the symptoms in one module and
the cause in another module.

> As the CGI::Session docs now recommend, always explicitly flush.

Well, we got something right!

> I learned about the issue the hard way myself.

It's called The Human Condition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Condition

ron at savage.net.au
http://savage.net.au/index.html