[cgiapp] suitability of Autorunmode

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:54:53 EST 2008

On 11/21/08, Richard Jones <ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Bradley C Bailey wrote:
>
> > Cees Hek wrote:

> again ??

> http://www.mail-archive.com/cgiapp@lists.openlib.org/msg07094.html

> to hear
> which
> > > >

> > > Hi Richard,
> > >
> > > I run AutoRunmode under mod_perl successfully, but I do remember
> > > having problems with it.  If I remember correctly (and it's been a few
> > > years since I looked into it), I had to make sure that
> > > Attribute::Handlers was installed, and I had to load the plugin in my
> > > instance script as well as in the application.
> > >

> > For what it's worth I also have successfully used AutoRunmode under
> mod_perland FastCGI (using Dispatch).  The only problem I can remember
> encountering was that it did not work with Apache2::Reload.
> >

>  Well, I've fixed it at last. It was probably not AutoRunmodes' fault in the
> end, but one or more of a combination of two plugins - CAP::ErrorPage &
> CAP::DebugScreen - plus some errors in my code (like using $self in the
> LOG_DISPATCH_OPTIONS callback!!) and the use of a custom SIG{__DIE__}
> handler in my Dispatch class, that collectively was causing a number of
> problems (session & flash handling mainly), as I've detailed elsewhere in
> some related messages. AutoRunmode now works fine with mod_perl.

ok. So one verdict seems to be... AutoRunmode + modperl is ok under
certain conditions. Mixing it with other certain plugins is not ok.

In some other rag I was reading, seems like subroutine attributes are
viewed as dirty things.. I think it was a pm thread that started all
this line of thinking in my head. AutoRunmode uses subroutine
attributes, of course. So, I might still just get away from it. The
ease that it adds seems to be minimal compared to the possible hurt it
can cause.

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/