[cgiapp] Re: CAP::AutoRunmode not working with mod_perl again ??

Richard Jones ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk
Sun Nov 9 11:12:42 EST 2008

Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:44:40 +0000
> Richard Jones <ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I know this was supposed to be fixed in v0.14 but it seems to be
>> happening again. In a trivial setup:
>
> That sounds frustrating Richard. I haven't gone back to use AutoRunmode after
> getting bitten the first time around with the mod_perl issue. Have you tried
> the RunmodeDeclare plugin as an alternative?

Hi Mark,

Yes I have - and it does now seem to work OK under all 3 envs (mod_perl,
HTTP::Simple::Server/CA::Server & mod_cgi), but I'm still a little wary
of it as it seems to use deeper magic than AutoRunmode, and I'm not sure
all the issues that were discussed earlier [RFC: declarative run modes
(inspired by Method::Signatures)] have been addressed. Is RunmodeDeclare
'safe' to use in production in combination with many other plugins (eg
CAP::Authentication, CAP::Authorization, etc) yet?

The choice actually is a) fix AutoRunmode - preferable as my app. is
already working with it (except under mod_perl); b) switch to
RunmodeDeclare, where I will have a lot of code to convert and is pretty
much a one-way ticket; and c) revert to the traditional method of
declaring $self->run_modes & $self->start_mode in setup(), which can
probably be considered the safer option.
--
Richard Jones