[cgiapp] cached DBI connections with cgiapp/fastcgi

Ron Savage ron at savage.net.au
Thu Oct 23 16:43:28 EDT 2008

Hi Ben

> I note that in the Plugin::DBH code there is no eval{} around the
> ping...  I will probably try that.
>
> First I am going to try what I have with just connect() instead of
> connect_cached.. I am wondering if the dual layer of $dbh checking is
> causing system to get confused.  I agree oracle connections are
> slow... but the FastCGI version of this page takes 3 seconds WHEN
> CACHED... so I am not really worried about it (will profile it though)

I'm confused.

If you use Apache::DBI then what's the point of using
CGI::Application::Plugin::DBH?

And at the same time, why use FastCGI? I tried it, and it worked for
sure, but I prefer to use CGI::Application::Dispatch, with the latter
wearing its 'mod_perl handler' hat.

If you are in a position to compile Apache and mod_perl, then mod_perl
via C::A::Dispatch is surely the way to go.

And if you can't compile them, then perhaps it's time to ask for our
help on how to do that :-).

ron at savage.net.au
http://savage.net.au/index.html