[cgiapp] Re: Unexpected variable persistence with CAD / CADS

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Oct 21 13:13:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:02:37 +0100
Richard Jones <ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > That value of 'id' (2 in this case) persisted from the previous action,
> >  and will continue to live indefinitely across multiple requests until
> > it is either superceded by another id, or until I re-start the CAD server.
>
> Behaviour confirmed with a minimal app which just captures id param from
> the url - either using CAP::AutoRunmode - my $id = $self->param('id') -
> or directly using CAP::RunmodeDeclare - runmode foo ($id) - and dumps
> $id to stdout as a warn statement. Once the 'id' param has been used in
> a request, it stays around in $self for subsequent requests, until the
> CAD server is restarted. This seems to me to be incredibly bad and
> dangerous behaviour.
>
> It doesn't seem to happen in an identical setup running under mod_perl,
> so I presume it's a 'feature' of the CAD::Server / HTTP::Server. Is this
> a known issue, and one of the caveats alluded to in the CAD::Server
> docs? Never been a problem for anyone else?

I haven't used CAD::Server much. Does it also happen with CGI::Application::Server
( which I think can also work with Dispatch.pm ) ?

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .