[cgiapp] Re: Question | Poll - Preferred ORM.

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu Sep 25 20:42:54 EDT 2008

> > I'm currently using DBIx::Interp (which you might call "No ORM").  I have my
> > eye on DBIx::Simple as a replacement, which also integrates with SQL::Interp.
>
> I find DBIx::Simple is really nice for stand-alone scripts to do db
> admin with, but as far as I know it doesn't support outer joins, group
> by, etc, other than by hand-writing the sql?

Correct. I find SQL straightforward and efficient to use.

> Not sure about SQL::Interp though.

SQL::Interp is primarily about more elegant handling of bind variables,
and putting data into SQL queries in more perlish ways. It is not an
ORM.

> How do you cope with multi-table queries?

Using SQL. Depending on what I do I use a cross join, a left join, a
self join, a "UNION", a sub-select, a temporary table, or a join on a
dynamically generated table.

I think if I used an ORM, I'd be constantly walking around to the back
door for direct SQL access.

http://mark.stosberg.com/