[cgiapp] Re: Perl Certified Hosting

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Sep 20 12:46:57 EDT 2008

> I also include the stack (for the most part) for my software. Although
> this project is a good idea. It gives you more options, you can still do
> you stack, there are always going to be issues with specific versions,
> but the benefits far outweigh the downfalls. Version compatibility
> effects all language modules from vb, .net to php, with anything an
> upgrade can always cause things to brake. If people are relying on the
> modules to be on the host because of the Perl Certified Hosting program,
> then they'll have to expect to keep up with version changes. They'll
> also have the opportunity to test their software against the latest perl
> certified hosting version before it is released.

Ok, that sounds pretty good.

>   My CPAN project is designed to make it possible to easily package your
> stack for shared hosting whether the modules are XS or PP.

Ok, I share that goal.

> >   This just further encourages module authors to support bad API designs
> >   because they are backwards compatibile.
>
> Backwards compatibility doesn't necessarily mean bad API design.

Agreed.

> http://perl.bristolbath.org/projects/cpan.html

That would be a useful tool to have.

cPanel already has an easy Perl module installer built-in, but it won't
handle XS code, so given anything moderately complex to install, it will
fail.

Some projects offer both XS and Pure Perl alternatives, but I'm not
aware that we have a standard to automate choosing one or the other,
so you can easily get a whole Pure Perl dependency chain.

http://mark.stosberg.com/