[cgiapp] Re: Perl Certified Hosting

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Sep 16 10:09:44 EDT 2008

> Do hosting companies ever upgrade outside of the standard packaging system of
> their OS vendor?  Do they ever upgrade OS version on a production server?

These two are related. Sometimes because an OS upgrade is seen as a "big deal",
the current OS version installed gets out of date, and so do the provided
packages. Therefore, manual installs are made. In general, I'm sure there is a
whole range of practices in how web servers are maintained.

I would guess that most websites are now hosted on standardized platforms like
cPanel or Plesk. They provide a base set of functionality, and make it easier to
keep the whole system up-to-date.

> Titanium on the other hand aims at the middle somewhere which is also extremely
> important but as far as I understand neither the OS distributors nor
> the hosting companies have any role in that project.

Ideally I would like Titanium downloadable along with its "stack", but that is not
available yet. With "local::lib", it may be easy to produce, if I don't run into
too much "XS" in the dependency chain.