Retraction - Re: [cgiapp] problem w/ CGI::Application::Server ....

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Sun Sep 14 19:42:13 EDT 2008

I just figured out that I wasn't correct yesterday when I described a
problem with CGI::Application::Server and CGI::Application::Dispatch
based classes.

I was troubled by the fact that the module has a thorough test suite
and yet I'd found what would have to be a fairly obvious bug, so I ran
the 003_dispatch.t tests (which work fine) and then tried mine again
(which failed).

It turns out that a server script like the one in the
CGI::Application::Server synopsis won't work for
CGI::Application::Dispatch scripts, but it will if you add the
equivalent of

   use MyCGIApp::Account::Dispatch;

up near the top.

A quick test suggests that the CGI::Application part of the synopsis
has the same problem, and the example that new's up an object would
probably fail since it hasn't used its class either.

I think that we can probably just chalk this up to me being too
literal.  Sorry for the noise.

A small improvement for folks like me who trip over sharp edges might
be to change the confess at line 93 of CGI/Application/Server.pm to
include something like

  "(did you remember to \"use $target\" in your server script?)"

g.