[cgiapp] Re: Titanium first impressions

Richard Jones ra.jones at dpw.clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 04:55:03 EDT 2008

Mark Stosberg wrote:

> What more integration do you want? CGI::Application::Dispatch is included as a
> dependency, and how to use them together is documented is recommended. I think
> the current integration works cleanly and nicely.

Yes, I noticed it's in the dependencies list after I posted, and had
only looked at the Titanium package itself. Oops. But we still have to
generate our own dispatcher, and I was being lazy and suggested there
might be one 'integrated' by default.

I was thinking along the lines of Catalyst which has its own dispatcher
built it. So building an app with Catalyst, it 'just works' out of the
box (providing you're happy with the *way* it works), whereas with
C::A/Titanium I have to create my own dispatcher, as documented. Of
course the latter approach is the more flexible, but I think the optimum
would be an integrated default dispatcher that you could chose to
over-ride in preference to your own if you want (if that's possible).
I'm still struggling a bit with the dispatcher, and thought how nice it
would be if a dispatcher function was available out of the box.

>> Ditto session support
>
> We include the CGI::Application::Plugin::Session method by default and document it.
> How would you suggest refining this?

Yep, managed to miss that one - shouldn't have lumped it in with
Authentication, which you've already dealt with. Sorry.

BTW, I think the Titanium concept is really good, and wish the project
well, just airing a few initial thoughts as I put a test app together.

> If people want to release parallel modules as Titanium::Alloy::RJONES, that's
> fine with me.

:) - one day maybe! Titanium::Alloy::Dispatch(er) ?