[cgiapp] Re: HTML::Template vs Template::Alloy

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Jun 21 18:44:52 EDT 2008

> It's certainly the slowest option available. That hasn't hurt us sofar, and
> we've had some high-profile events (during the Miss Universe competition we
> had about 40 million hits per day). On the other hand, we're getting so big
> that I'm now looking into the faster options (TT2, Template::Alloy), because
> shaving 50ms off every request adds up.

Rhesa,

I hadn't noticed Template::Alloy before. It does like interesting as an
option that is like HTML::Template with the dot notation, but faster.

It doesn't support filters, which is an H::T feature that I use, but I
could find a way to do that pre-processing before handing the templates
off to Allow.

I'm not thrilled that the Alloy  H::T mode includes every templating
feature on the sun, but perhaps they could be ignored.

I had followed HTML::Template::Compiled with interest in the past, but
now it has become a suite of about 20 modules with more features and
complexity than suits me.

If you do try Template::Alloy, I'll be interested to hear a review of
that.