[cgiapp] Re: can AUTOLOAD sub be named AUTOLOAD?

rjmorris12 at gmail.com rjmorris12 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 19:30:29 EDT 2008

Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> wrote on Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:10:55AM-0400:
> I don't plan to add this patch for the following reasons:

FYI, the patch Mark is referencing is one I posted to the CPAN tracker last
night: http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=36669

> - As mentioned already, run_modes() is additive, you can use the
> arrayref call for declaring most methods as a 1-to-1 mapping, and add *1
> line of code* to declare the AUTOLOAD method if you need to.

I agree that it's fairly simple to declare the AUTOLOAD method currently,
but I don't think the current design is the proper one. I agree with
Darin's assertion that the AUTOLOAD method should not be a runmode, that is,
it shouldn't be callable via http://myapp.net/?rm=AUTOLOAD. However, I can
accept that this may not be enough justification to change the API. If
others don't find this patch useful, then I can maintain my patches locally
(or decide it's not worth it and use the official release).

This all came up because I wanted to use CAP::AutoRunmode and not specify
*any* run modes. I have a patch for CAP::AutoRunmode as well to support the
fallback_mode, which I can post if others are interested.

Joey