[cgiapp] can AUTOLOAD sub be named AUTOLOAD?

rjmorris12 at gmail.com rjmorris12 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 23:09:18 EDT 2008

When creating an AUTOLOAD run mode, I wanted to name the method AUTOLOAD, so
I set up my application module as:

sub setup {
  my ($self) = @_;
  $self->run_modes([qw/mode1 mode2 AUTOLOAD/]);
  $self->start_mode("mode1");
}

sub mode1 { return "running mode1\n"; }
sub mode2 { return "running mode2\n"; }
sub AUTOLOAD {
  my ($self, $requested_mode) = @_;
  print STDERR "running AUTOLOAD\n";
  return "invalid mode $requested_mode\n";
}

However, it seems that in this case the AUTOLOAD method always runs after
the appropriate run mode, and its second argument is undefined. For example:

% ./app.pl rm=mode2

running mode2
running AUTOLOAD
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ../lib/Credentials/App.pm line 18.

% ./app.pl rm=foo
running AUTOLOAD

invalid mode foo
running AUTOLOAD
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ../lib/Credentials/App.pm line 18.

If I name the AUTOLOAD method something else, things work as I expect:

$self->run_modes(
  "mode1" => "mode1",
  "mode2" => "mode2",
  "AUTOLOAD" => "catchall"
);

sub catchall {

% ./app.pl rm=mode2

running mode2

% ./app.pl rm=foo
running AUTOLOAD

invalid mode foo

Is this expected behavior, or is it a bug? Am I forced to name the AUTOLOAD
method something other than AUTOLOAD? Is there some sort of interaction with
Perl's own AUTOLOAD method?

Thanks.
Joey