[cgiapp] Function CGI::Application Code

Michael Petnuch michael at petnuch.com
Tue Mar 18 00:20:23 EDT 2008

Evening,

I have been a CGI::Application follower for quite a while now.  I
used it to create the engine off which my personal website/blog/
everything site runs.  Back when I first started the documentation
was not as good as it is now and it took me a while to get everything
started.  But once I did I found how easily and extensible I could
make my website.

So I figured that I would share my work with others.  All my code has
been placed up on websvn and is publicly viewable.  I stole a bunch
of thumbnailing code from somewhere and I don't remember because it
worked better than mine (it was from some perl modules). So I might
have to take that down.

But other than that, the codes and ideas/implementation are the
result of many hours/cokes/and chinese food takeout on my days off
(and sometimes during the week).

In the code you will find a fully function bloging type software
complete with user registration and access control.  All entries are
populated into a database that is accessed using Class::DBI.  The
website HTML is  separate from the Perl using Template::Toolkit.

You will also find a slightly incomplete implementation of a photo
gallery.  It is incomplete because I have yet to figure out a way to
allow people to submit photos via that site that is elegant (ala
flickr) because my Web 2.0 skills are non-existant.  Right now I have
a separate perl script that I use to populate the database.  All
imports are handled via CGI::Uplaoder.

The site uses a lot more modules as well, too many to discuses here
(unless someone asks about something specific).

Websvn Link:  http://websvn.petnuch.com

Enjoy,
Michael

P.S. If you have any comments about how/why I did anything feel free
to ask. I am not saying that what I did is the best approach, but it
work and will be a good learning tool for anyone new to usign
CGIAPP!  Goodluck