[cgiapp] how to use C::A::Dispatch with FastCGI ?

Mark Fuller azfuller at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 12:19:17 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Giannis Economou <geconomou at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Actually, the best thing for me was to use the mod_fcgid module
>  (http://fastcgi.coremail.cn/) instead of the old fastcgi (www.fastcgi.com).
>  mod_fcgid is binary compatibility to mod_fastcgi, but I like it much more.

Thanks. I wasn't aware there was a fastcgi and fastcgid. It sounds
like this is just a change at the Apache server, not the instance
script? You continue to use FCGI.pl? (There's not an FCGId.pl?).

I googled and found a couple of people saying the "d" handler is
unstable (one said it's "more unstable than a monkey on crack"). That
was posted in the past 60 days. Have you had any problems?

>  In the past (before mod_fcgid) I had several experiences with speedycgi
>  (aka perperl)

*Another* name (perperl) for speedyCGI/persistentPerl :). That made
finding it difficult for me. I read in the POD that persistentPerl was
supposed to become the name going forward. That was back in 2002. I
spent about an hour trying to find it. By chance I tried "speedyCGI"
and found an up-to-date package in Ubuntu's repository. I never tried
"perperl." (Which is confusingly similar to pperl, an entirely
different module on CPAN).

It's confusing. This discussion's clarified a lot of things.

To Ron: I emailed Sven, asking if he could reindex FCGI. He was very
responsive. I received a reply in 10 minutes that he'd done it. (Just
to let you know that discussion led to something productive.). If it
doesn't appear in the search results by tomorrow I'll nag him a little
more about it. Maybe it's not a big deal. But, it was always confusing
to me that it's not discoverable through CPAN. It gave me the
impression it wasn't really "mainstream."