[cgiapp] how to use C::A::Dispatch with FastCGI ?

Mark Fuller azfuller at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 23:34:27 EST 2008

>  Curious. Still, reliable (software) technology doesn't have to be
>  updated. This topic blew up

Sorry. It just looked like nothing was happening with these various
tools. For example: The SpeedyCGI/PersistentPerl web site has binaries
for download which are ancient. The fastcgi site's FAQ has a "what is
fastcgi?" placeholder that hasn't been completed. Things like that
give the impression there isn't much user base. For example, if
someone heard of fastcgi how would they find the FCGI module? For the
life of me, I can't figure out how to find it on CPAN without already
knowing where it is. :) Taken as a sum I gather impressions. That's
all.

> in order to choose what
>  to abandon Windows in favour of. To say Ubuntu was a f***ing shambles
>  would be to glorify it. I posted a very long explanation on the Ubuntu
>  forum's installation survey at the time. I chose Debian. Case closed.

I've not had any problems with Ubuntu. But, I just use the server
distribution. I should probably use CentOS as a more serious server
distro. But, I like how Ubuntu has broad (fanatical?) user support. I
notice the speedyCGI package is in the Debian repository too. That
might be where Ubuntu got it. (wink).

I didn't realize you only tested fastcgi (not an active user).

SpeedyCGI and "pperl" on CPAN) (if they work) seem to be more
transparent. They don't require a lot of change to the script (just
the shebang line). They have options to automatically terminate after
a number of executions, or amount of time. I've have code these tests
into my fastcgi "accept" loop (which is already a significant
modification to non-fastcgi processing.).