[cgiapp] Lazy DBI

Mark Knoop mark at rawcane.net
Thu Feb 14 07:03:34 EST 2008

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Joshua Miller <unrtst at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just my 2cents... Apache::DBI. Entirely forget about passing it around..
>>  that's too much work. Create an ini file or something, and put your
>>  connection options in there, maybe even your own lib to connect to
>> various
>>  db's, but call the connect from various libs whenever needed, and let
>>  Apache::DBI handle caching the connections. Apache::DBI is simply a more
>>  elegant solution... only problem is that it assumes you're running
>> apache
>>  (not an problem for me).
>
> I was just starting an email that says the same thing.  It just works,
> and no code changes need to be made (assuming you followed some pretty
> basic guidelines).

Ah.... am using IIS as we are on Windoze and I am not as familiar with
administering Apache (and we can't afford a sysadmin just yet). I am
planning to migrate and go down the mod_perl route but that is down the list
after CGI::Appifying my code and implementing some other essential
features.... can only handle so much new stuff at once! Will bear your
comments in mind for the future though.