[cgiapp] params, params, params...

Mark Knoop mark at rawcane.net
Thu Feb 7 05:34:25 EST 2008

Hi

I would be grateful if someone could offer me some guidance.

When I started thinking about reorganising my app with CGI::Application but
before I knew much about it I thought it would be good to have a Globals
object which I set up when the script is called which stores all the things
I need - some query params and some other values which I calculate based on
the query params and things like session ids etc rather than have loads of
package variables. In practice I am not sure if this is an improvement
although there are some individual get and set methods that require extra
functionality so is quite nice to have these in my own class.

Also I see that CGI::Application has its own params - am I right in thinking
these are completeley different to the query params? Is there any
relationship between the two? Should I just be using these for 'global'
values?

It also looks like I will be using the session plugin and the session object
also has its own params, some of which I would set with the
global/query/params that I am interested in.

So I have three lots of params as well as my own Globals class and I am not
sure which the tidiest option is.

Can anyone suggest any best practices on which params to use where?

I want to make my variables easy to keep track of and keep the code as
maintainable and readable as possible.

Regards