[cgiapp] Persistence

Karen karen.cravens at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 21:11:50 EST 2008

On 2/6/08, Dan Horne <dan.horne at redbone.co.nz> wrote:

> Another problem is bookmarks. A user may bookmark a page, but when they
> come back a couple of days later, the session has expired. They might also
> email a link to others, and that link may not work for the same reason.

If you want a poster child for this particular evilness, and how it
can be compounded: Joann.com (fabric/craft chain). You get bloggers
who post links (craftblogging is a big thing), with their session id,
and when you read and click, you get taken to a page that informs you
that the session has expired... and it dumps you to the joann.com home
page. If you're savvy editing the url, you can go back and edit it to
get there, but otherwise there is absolutely no way to tell where the
blogger meant you to go.

I think they've been trying to fix that lately. I am only guessing,
though, since the only symptom of change I've seen is that now if I go
directly to the joann.com homepage, I am sent to a page telling me my
session has expired, and I have to click a link to go back to the
homepage.  So apparently they're doing something with cookies now, but
it's not an improvement...