[cgiapp] Adding Footer to Output

Karen karen.cravens at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:51:52 EST 2008

On 1/2/08, Michael Peters <mpeters at plusthree.com> wrote:
> I have to say that this made my day :) Although I'd probably =~ s/get/bribe/

Heh. I opted to keep the level at "snark" and not "actionable."

Soapboxing aside, I suspect that the usual reason for updates is
either a simple misunderstanding of the notice's meaning (just because
something was copyrighted last year doesn't mean it's expired this
year) or technical issues (we don't know exactly when the particular
bit of content was created, so we give the whole site the date of the
newest content).

I don't like the latter, as it dilutes the notices to where I would
expect a judge to deny you statutory damages, i.e. same as when you
don't have a properly-formatted notice at all. I'd rather be up-front
about it and put a generic notice without a year. It doesn't qualify
for statutory damages either, but they seem unlikely anyway.

Were it a site statutory damages were a realistic possibility, I'd
care enough to track the correct date for every bit of content, and
then I'd be explicitly setting a TMPL_VAR.