[cgiapp] showing "temporary output"

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Sun Nov 11 14:46:32 EST 2007

ademmler writes:
 > Hi CCGI::APP List members!
 >
 > I need some help to do the following:
 >
 > My steps
 > 1. start web page in runmode1 offering a CGI form
 > 2. submit form and process it
 > 3. display result as runmode2
 >
 > Because step 2 takes a long time I want to show a "please be patient
 > message" in between.
 >
 > So far I am fine, but how can I change into a new runmmode after
 > outputting the HTML page with    "return $template->output();
 > Or better has some body the right concept for doing this?

I posted a real live runnable example of how to do this thing back in
September.  Here's a pointer to the nabble archive:

   http://www.nabble.com/Progress-while-loading-db-records---again-tf4383659.html#a12561967

The trick is that you have to send out a "please be patient..." page
and set a header that asks the client to check back in a little while
(5 seconds in this example).

This example comes back to the same run mode, which behaves
differently depending on whether it's done or not.  Alternatively, you
could have the redirect go to different places depending on whether
the long-running thingy is done or not.

g.