[cgiapp] Re: Class::MOP? Really?

Timothy Appnel tim at appnel.com
Sun Oct 21 00:54:26 EDT 2007

On 10/20/07, Peter Karman <peter at peknet.com> wrote:

> I think it comes down to aesthetics, really. By that I mean that the RDBO API
> design matched more closely the way I would do things if I were writing an ORM.
> I found I grokked the "RDBO way" more easily.

On that point I'll mention that I've been stating to use
Data::ObjectDriver.  I've been doing a lot of work with Movable Type
for years so aesthetically DOD works are how I'm used to thinking and
developing. DOD was developed and released by Six Apart from a fork of
what first debuted in MT and then was evolved over a couple of years
developing TypePad and Vox. It now is the object layer in MT4 with a
compatibility layer on top and a few other additions. So like Peter
said aesthetics. Its what I'm used to.

A couple of nice features DOD has that I did not see in my glance over
the others mentioned here is built-in support for memcached and
database partitioning. While I haven't had a use or database
partitioning yet, I have found the object caching really nice.
Configure it and never think about it again.

Shortcomings are that docs tend to lag behind though they've mostly
caught up. Also, schema management is a separate function it doesn't
even attempt to implement. MT has one and is slated to be released
under the GPL so something is likely to be made available in the
future.

The distro of DOD in CPAN is only updated every few months. I
recommend going with the SVN repository:
http://code.sixapart.com/svn/Data-ObjectDriver/

<tim/>