[cgiapp] Re: Class::MOP? Really?

Daniel Sterling dan at lost-habit.com
Sat Oct 20 22:26:58 EDT 2007

Peter Karman wrote:
> RDBO++
So here everybody is saying they like Rose better, and I'm learning DBIC :)

So, I'll ask, what do you think? How is Rose better than DBIC or vice versa?

The most comprehensive comparison I found is at
http://osdir.com/ml/lang.perl.modules.dbi.rose-db-object/2006-06/msg00021.html
, which is a post from the Rose author.

I glanced at Rose's docs and they do look very well done, so that's
definitely a plus. The syntax looks clean, as well.

Resultset chaining seems to be DBIC's killer feature.

RDBO is faster but definitely less extensible... performance was a
design goal for RDBO, which eschews simplicity and extensibility for it.
DBIC's codebase is definitely more modular and extensible.

IMO I think if you want speed, use DBI directly, right? :) But I suppose
if the effort has been made and Rose works, I can't fault someone for
choosing it on speed.

RDBO may have a better schema loader ... but you should just
auto-generate once and then manually maintain in any case...

So -- both good modules. Did I miss anything? Anybody have strong
opinions or other comments?

-- Dan

Other references:
http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2006-June/001555.html