[cgiapp] strategies for decoupling HTML::Template

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-cgiapp at lists.manxome.org
Fri Oct 19 18:06:36 EDT 2007

I am not a big fan of HTML::Template.  It just doesn't float my boat.  It bugs
me a little bit that it's a prereq of CGI::Application, especially when it
isn't, then, really needed.

Is there a plan to convert HTML::Template from a prereq into a plugin?

Up-sides:  no non-core prereqs as of 5.8, all "tmpl" stuff can be removed from
core, no bias toward one template engine, clearer errors (no method) if you
choose not to implement tmpl methods.

Down-sides:  things that have CGI::Application as a prereq, and use
HTML::Template, will need to be updated to require the correct plugin in order
to work out of the box on new installs; more steps to use CGI::App 'out of the
box'

Maybe the cons outweight the pros.  I just really would like to eliminate that
prereq.  Maybe it's just like a scab I keep picking at, though, and I should
STFU.

--
rjbs