[ArchEc] Internet Archive and RePEc

Bryan Newbold bnewbold at archive.org
Tue Oct 6 03:20:44 UTC 2020

ArchEc sounds great! I can offer a couple resources that may be helpful:

As you may already know, anybody can create an account on archive.org
and upload content, which we will preserve and provide free
access/bandwidth for. We have an API and command line tools. I can help
with advise on splitting and organizing content if you are interested.
This could be an extra mirror in parallel to ArchEx itself.

I can run targeted crawls of large URL lists into wayback and provide
public download access to the resulting WARC files. We don't always
provide direct access to our WARCs but can for specific projects like
this. This might be helpful if wget is giving you trouble. I could also
share our heritrix3 (Java web crawling framework) configuration that I
use for paper crawling, though it is a bit complex of a tool to use.

For context, the path to ingesting content into fatcat (and
scholar.archive.org) would involve:

python code to transform RePEc metadata into fatcat schema, which is
based on CSL-JSON. Possibly using a new persistent identifier for RePec
articles. Eg, like this:
https://github.com/internetarchive/fatcat/blob/master/python/fatcat_tools/importers/jstor.py#L56

python code to harvest new RePEc metadata records every day (for
transformation, crawling, and ingest). Eg, similar to we do for
arxiv.org, pubmed, and crossref DOIs.

We have a pipeline to crawl URLs both in large batches and for daily
updates, and are working on tooling that will cluster and/or merge
different versions ("releases") of a paper ("work"). Eg, a draft and a
final publication version.

--bryan