[AMF-talk] new version of doc and schema

Thomas Krichel amf-talk@lists.openlib.org
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:22:29 -0500

  I have updated the AMF documentation and schema file.

  All changes reflect alignement with the XML Schema work for
  DC, see http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/xmlschema/,
  henceforth Cole et alii.

  Changes are

  * adopt the "SimpleLiteral" from Cole et alii as the default
  type of all attributes. This is a non-element contents string
  with an optional lang attribute. Our definition is now copied
  from Cole et alii.

  * replaces the scheme attribute with the xsi:type attribute. This
  allows to place additional constraints in a way that is compatible
  with schema. I demonstrate this with a new file jel1991.xsd that
  has allowable values for the Journal of Economic Literature
  classification scheme. I will add the ACM and MSC schemes later.
  I will list the scheme files in a new controlled vocabulary
  document. This will be a short piece to be done next week.
  Cole et alii treat DC encoding schemes in the same way. I have
  not been able to base them on SimpleLiteral as they have done,
  but instead they are based in xs:string, but this is a minute
  technical detail that we can change without disturbing anything
  at a later stage.

  On another note,   I was interested to see the announcement of
  the CIMI scheme. It did mention the word OAI, but not the word
  DC. I still have to see how much it is DC based. I see this as
  a sign that the world is slowly waking up to the need of domain
  specific metadata...

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                                   mailto:krichel@openlib.org
                                              http://openlib.org/home/krichel